Destructoid (and it's sister websites Japanator, Tomopop, OuterHeaven and Flixist) offer you a chance to publish your blogs, forums, comments, photos on our servers at absolutely no cost to you, with the agreement that you're publishing good stuff.
We want great discussions and clever, endearing people to use our massive reach to make this community more fun and interesting -- and welcoming to EVERYONE. The bottom line is that somebody is definitely going to see what you have to say, so we ask that you do your best to make it count.
That goes for community blogs, comments, your bio, your title, the iridescent pattern of mucus on your chin that sometimes spells short words, and the forums.
OUR USAGE GUIDELINES - EASY AND OBVIOUS
1. People come to our sites to have discussions, not to have their cynicism threshold inspected. It is our #1 job (and yours) to make everyone feel like they can speak without being personally judged. We're not a hippie hug cabin -- we expect and tolerate heated discussion. Even when you're yelling at the top of your lungs that someone dares to be wrong on the Internet (it happens) you will find a way to do so with respect for that person as a human being.
Old time users: you're often the least to remember this. We appreciate your loyalty and we love you have friends here: but please don't haze or hate on new users (see Rule 5). Remember when you were new? Treat newcomers with the same respect we afforded you.
Please don't cause unnecessary drama -- our network of sites are communities, not cliques. Just because you were here 10,000 posts that doesn't mean you're the boss of them.
2. Our sites are open to all user-generated content with the exception of sexism, porn, homophobia and racism, all of which will be removed immediately without consulting the poster beforehand. No questions asked. Expect a swift kick in the ass from our staff.
3. If you feel that you need to put profanity in the titles of your posts, please censor yourself and don't be a f*cking *sshole about it. Remember, your story titles appear on the sidebar of our home page. Title aside, you can use profanity within the body of the post; however we encourage you to use your good judgment in its use.
4. Don't flood the site with inside jokes, one-word/one-sentence posts, and other nonsense that might be considered trolling or spamming. Repeated spamming of pictures or words will likely earn you a warning from the Community Manager as well (and your blogging privileges may be suspended temporarily). The best advice on this is best summed up in a short and sweet manner: Don't be a dick.
5. Causing drama, being a negative douche bag, inciting spam wars in the comments and creating multiple accounts are also grounds for banning (etc). Some people think that making racist or victim (ie rape jokes) are edgy and people shouldn't be offended because they are personally not offended. These people need to find another community, because we don't want you here. Freedom of Speech also means that if you say you're going to hurt the president of the United States people will come to your house, take your computers, and put you in jail. If we have to explain to you why a rape joke isn't funny you definitely don't belong here.
6. Please do not post content and label it as "Official Destructoid [WHATEVER]". This goes for reviews, contests, IRC channels, Ventrilo, Counter-Strike servers, WoW guilds, etc. You are welcome to run any type of event or contest on your personal blog that you would like, so long as it could not be mistaken for an editorial feature of the same type. In other words, we don't want to deal with any legal trouble if somebody confuses what you're doing as official Dtoid work. While we appreciate people's enthusiasm, often times the shit hits the fan and people will come complaining to us about something we have no involvement in. We're a small company -- don't create extra work for us!
7. Don't copy and paste other people's work and pass it off as your own content. Summarize what you want to use and give proper credit/linkage. Otherwise, this may be perceived as plagiarism, and you could find yourself in legal trouble. We do our best not to throw you to the wolves, but don't put us in that position or lawyers may eat you, including ours.
8. Don't post copyrighted work. This means magazine scans, embargoed screenshots, and other stuff that isn't explicitly made available to the public. In a recent case a blogger posted content that violated his NDA with a publisher because they had participated in a BETA, so that company asked us to take their community blog down despite the fact that his editorial contained nothing that violated our terms. If we receive a legal takedown from a publisher, we will usually comply -- especially if you signed the NDA! Be professional.
9. If you desire to post spoilers, then please make it clear in the title and beginning of your post that you are posting spoilers. Also, do not post spoilers in the comments in other peoples posts without a warning. People who are caught posting spoilers in a malicious way will be banned.
10. User-run contests are OK, but if we get as much as one complaint spam we have to take it down. Don't post it all over the place, don't make it a daily thing that people have to navigate around you. Please keep the contest contained, preferably on your own site.
Obviously, people can and will still find some way of sucking while abiding by these rules, so this list will continue to grow as need be. Above all, you can avoid the ban-hammer by acting responsibly, being respectful, and so on.
We're trying to foster a great community, so in participating you're helping us do that, and we love you for it.
Unless, of course, you're one of these guys:
JERKS, ELITISTS, AND RACISTS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
Unfortunately, there are too many people out there that lack any sort of common sense, so we'd like to hereby state some ground rules on what we definitely don't want to see on the blogs. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you'd like to file a complaint against a user. We will respect your privacy and investigate the matter as soon as possible.
DON'T TEST OUR MODERATORS
While our moderators do our best to be fair handed, their job is not to be infallible. Their job is to protect the peace, not to explain where the line is so you can dance as close to it as possible. Please work with us to keep the peace.
THE BAN HAMMER PROCESS
If we've never heard of you and you spam or something super offensive, there will be no warning: your account will be instantly nuked without pardon. If your account history shows normal use, the poster will be warned by email after the first offense. If there is a second occurrence, the poster will be banned from *all of our sites* indefinitely and his/her IP will be blocked.
Banned users may appeal the block by contacting one of our Community Managers: community [at] destructoid [dot] com.
WHY THIS MATTERS
You wouldn't be reading this if we didn't enforce it. We don't expect you to care about the intricacies of keeping a site alive, but we do ask that you consider that it is not in the host's interest to make their parties lame. We want to stay in business forever so don't ask us to choose an inconsiderate comment over the livelihood of everyone that works here. This is self-preservation, folks. Help us keep our sites open to all and we'll be here for years to come.