Many of you hopefully know of the video game Deus Ex, I know a lot of you hail it to be a masterpiece but I don't know if as many of you are aware of its small but dedicated active modification teams. So I decided to educate you of the finished (and a special canceled individual) projects and the other wonderful ideas in development.
Steve Tack's ZODIAC
ZODIAC is set in between the times after Hong Kong and the finale of the original game, in the footsteps of Paul Denton, older brother of JC Denton. This fan expansion is split up in 3 parts and set across 6 immense missions.
- Discover why the President is risking a nuclear confrontation.
- Break into CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia to uncover some of the world's best kept secrets.
- Solve the mystery of dozens of missing UNATCO troops.
- Use all-new weapons and meet new characters.
- Travel to new locations including: CIA Headquarters, Buenos Aires, Page Biotech, Holloman Air Force Base and more!
This is my favorite Deus Ex modification at the time because it mimics the feel and the goal of the original titan itself, this one at least you HAVE to see for yourself.
Burden of 80 Proof
80 Proof is a original modification I'm sure the users here will love, a tounge in cheek slapstick story about some guy called Peter Kent who has to try and leave work early and gather shopping and invites for a rushed party. Burden of 80 Proof isn't anything like the original game of Deus Ex and the only thing you'd find the same is the fiction FPS video game beta you'd play, the RPG elements and the engine.
- All new, entirely original script (over 13,000 words)
- 18 new characters, 6 new levels, new sounds, models, textures and more, plus clever re-use of existing Deus Ex stuff (or "assets")
- A non-dark-and-dystopian vision of the future
- Awesome, old-schooly music brings luscious memories of past gaming goodness back into the now
- Multiple solutions to problems and a world responsive to your choices, in the true spirit of Deus Ex
Like ZODIAC, this is a intended fan expansion but is intended to take place straight after after Mission 3 of the original game and assumes you haven't killed Lebedev in the 747 and replaces every scenario until the finale of the mod when you reach Hong Kong where you can continue your game as normal. It is worth the download.
- Alternative storyline after Mission 3 of the original game
- Original maps based around the events of the capture of Hotel Carone
The Cassandra Project
Rest in piece, this was easily going to be one of the best original modifications but alas, it was canceled. Thankfully the team behind Cassandra released one of the episodes of gameplay before disbanding the project. You take the role of Anna, a Russian agent and product of the mysterious Cassandra Project.
Just try it, too much that could of been so great to be seen.
Projects in development-
The Nameless Mod
A mod that developed from the idea of the PlanetDeusEx board members in one level to a entire full length modification. I cannot wait for it and I suggest reading about it
, you'll be surprised if you haven't heard of it.
A Russian developed prequel to the series, I am familiar with the creator and people working on it and it is looking great. Although sad to say I don't know much about it other than being a prequel.
So there you have it, if you're a fan of the series or enjoyed any of the games, I suggest try out or look forward to these mods.