Even though I have absolutely no qualifications to be making such predictions, I am going to attempt and lay down some stuff I see happening at E3. This is more for my own thoughts, as I'm sure most people are absolutely tired of reading these things and want to get on to the real thing anyway.
Here we go.
* Nintendo will show off a lot of "casual" games, while also showing off a playable Metroid Prime 3. New trailers for Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy. A firm release date will be set down for one of these two games, and a vague "month" for the other.
* Nintendo will reveal Mario Kart Wii and Animal Crossing Wii. A new trailer for Disaster: Day of Crisis will be shown. We will never hear of Project: H.A.M.M.E.R. again.
* Spielberg's recently discussed Wii game could be shown at the press conference. Could be.
* Miyamoto will have something
up his sleeve.
* Nintendo will mention new colors for the Wii and/or DS. No one will care. Besides that, Nintendo will not even whisper about a Wii/DS redesign, including the aforementioned DVD-capable Wii. Why should they?
* A new Metroid DS game will be shown...think fancy 2D with 3D touches a la Castlevania DS. Metroid Dread?
* Microsoft will not counter Sony's price drop...yet. However, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens (Premium down to $299, Elite $399) before Halo 3 hits...
* Halo 3 will obviously take the biggest chunk of Microsoft's time.
* Microsoft will also flout their exclusive GTAIV content, but only talk, not show.
* Despite the rumors, Rock Band will stay multiplatform. MGS4 will also stay PS3 for now.
* Besides for a trailer of Banjo-Threeie, Rare will be invisible this year. Game will release in 2008.
* Nary a mention of Too Human. That game will be out in 2008 at earliest.
* A sizeable trailer for Mass Effect will be shown, with a more firm release date then we've seen before. November?
* Alan Wake will have an extensive trailer/demo. Releases next year.
* Fable 2 trailer. Releases next year.
* Sony will show off some impressive first-party games, made all the more impressive by the fact that they will (mostly) be coming out this year. However, impressive third-party exclusives will be minimal at best.
* New trailer for MGS4. May live up to hype. Coming out 2008.
* New trailer for Killzone. Will not live up to hype.
* Nothing new for FFXII. 2008 release if we're lucky.
* More demos of Home and Little Big Planet. The "wow" factor of these will wear off just a bit.
* No big PSP re-design. At best it'll be purely cosmetic, such as DS Lite. New bundles. Online store. read