I'm a lady geek who enjoys the finer things in life: Gaming, science fiction (and fantasy too...who can resist a unicorn?!), old movies, vintage (read: Goodwill) clothes, and writing.
I got my undergraduate degree in anthropology and applied archaeology in hopes of becoming Indiana Jones. I dropped out of my fancy graduate school when I realized that archaeologists don't really get to beat up Nazis. THANKS, COLLEGE.
I like cats, Diet Coke and rock music. I currently work for BioWare as a community representative on STAR WARS: The Old Republic. (Clearly my opinions here do NOT reflect those of my employers.) Mostly, I just try to be awesome, and play a lot of games.
Since my last post got frontpaged (see: Self-Congratulatory News, below), my blog has been looking mighty empty and neglected. THIS WILL NOT DO! Especially because I’ve been doing a lot of pretty amazing things recently.
Whoa, calm down. Maybe not THAT amazing.
OK, so I’m kinda bragging here but I’m just gonna be honest: The past month has been epic. Like, Lord of the Rings “YOU SHALL NOT PASS” kind of epic, not like when you go to the mall and you hear some androgynous teenager with stupid hair say “THIS WURTZEL’S PIZZA PRETZEL IS FUCKING EPIC.”
...I stand corrected.
I went to E3 and Video Games Live, attended a ton of parties, went to Disneyland for days with the insanely talented Danny Baranowsky, recorded some podcasts, and somehow managed to squeeze in a tiny bit of work along the way. I don’t know how much I slept, but since I’m part robot it’s more or less all good.
Mr. Destructoid, in the case of 23-year-old Beverly Reynolds, you…ARE THE FATHER!
E3 week in particular was incredible. Some of my favorite moments from the show:
• Catching a fast-moving Mr. Destructoid as I went to try out the Fable III demo
• Meeting up with fellow Destructoiders naia-the-gamer, tactix and walk_your_path • Seeing Chad in action at the Nintendo booth
• Trying out Super Meat Boy and getting tossed into a meat grinder over and over again
• Smooth-talking my way into the Bethesda appointment-only media previews (Fallout: New Vegas and Rage? YES PLEASE)
• Mafia II’ing it up with some Playboy Playmates
• Video Games Live with like 23908 amazing guest stars such as Greg Edmonson, Akira Yamamoto and Norihiko Hibino. EARGASM
There are about a billion other fantastic things that I saw at E3; however, I’m being completely honest when I say that my favorite part of going was due to the fact that I got to meet up with some of my favorite people. I’m not exaggerating when I say that out of all the people I’ve met since moving to LA a few months ago, the ones I’ve met because of Destructoid (whether directly or indirectly) are the best. I really mean it; I love you people!
But you know what absolutely made that trip the best? The fact that we ran into Chad. Yes, that’s right, I got to hug Chad Concelmo at Disneyland. Tinkerbell better retire, because shit does NOT get any more magical than that.
This photo has not been altered in any way. It’s just been enriched…with LOVE.
In less-sappy news, I’ll be a guest reviewer over on Stereotoid this week, so be sure to read my (probably completely inept and bumbling) review of one of Trevkor’s favorite albums. I’ll also pop in on Stereocast, so be sure to listen…IF YOU KNOW WHAT’S GOOD FOR YOU.
What’s that, you say? A guest spot on Stereocast isn’t enough Bev for you? Stop your weeping: You can hear the sultry sound of my voice on the regular by listening to LAPD (Los Angeles Podcast of Destructoid). It’s a weekly podcast that features myself, Alex Barbatsis, Cadtalfryn, and the inimitable Gobun discussing our crazy adventures as gamers in Los Angeles. (SPOILER ALERT: Said “crazy adventures” tend to involve long bouts of staying inside, punctuated by disproportionately brief periods of leaving the house.) We are 100% UNOFFICIAL (as in, not endorsed by Destructoid or Dtoid LA), so if you have complaints, be sure to deliver them directly to Gobun’s face…with your fist.
Look at this magnificent bastard.
Speaking of Gobun…his birthday is coming up. If you’re in the LA area on Saturday, July 10th, be sure to stop by KyleGamgee and MamaDonna’s place for his first-ever birthday party! And even if you can’t be there, you can participate in wishing him a happy birthday…just send me a DM if you’re interested.
I have three items in late-breaking self-congratulatory news:
1. In case you missed it, my post on Nintendo’s booth babes at E3 this year somehow wound up on the front page! Reactions were generally positive, though I did have one troll call me “average looking and homely” which brought a smile to my (average-looking, possibly homely) face. Honestly, dude, it can only be one or the other; pick one, then we’ll talk. But whatever—no troll can bring me down because I get a sweet Mr. Destructoid bobblehead out of the deal! Needless to say, I am SUPER EXCITED. I’m already clearing mantle space for him, where he will proudly be displayed alongside my Academy Awards and hunting trophies.
Actual jackalope photographed with actual best friend, circa 2001.
2. I was an extra on The Guild this season, and I’m happy to announce that new episodes are coming out July 13th. I’m not allowed to talk about anything that happened on set, but I’ll be writing a post after the season begins about some of the more awesome set experiences, as well as my recent time playing WoW. (Yeah, that description sounds fucking thrilling, doesn’t it? I promise, it won’t be as boring as what you’re reading now.)
3. As mentioned earlier, I got to spend a lot of time post-E3 with face-meltingly awesome indie games composer Danny Baranowsky. He’s done about twelve gazillion amazing games including Canabalt, Meat Boy (and the upcoming Super Meat Boy) and Steambirds. I’m planning on writing a post about him next week to satiate his mighty ego; before I do, though, I wanted to see if any of you had questions for him! If so, send ‘em to me in a comment or DM and I’ll make sure he answers them.
This is…the face of brilliance. Check out Danny’s website here, and download a free track from Canabalt here. (While you’re at it, buy some soundtracks, would ya?
Well, my WoW patch has finished installing, so I’d better get out of here. You kids keep it classy when I’m gone, and be nice to the babysitter, would you?