Or for the lazy, here's all you really need to know about me summed up in one picture:
Now that that's done with, let's move onto the blog itself. This blog isn't going to contain any news. Like EVER. Like NEVER EVER FOREVER NEVER. I have no intention of doing anything other than posting original content (mostly just pictures that I make with my extremely limited photoshop skills along with original stories and whatnot). The bottom line is that I think that there are plenty of people doing editorial/reviewer style content already, and so instead of adding to the glut, I'll just stick to what I know:
Dicking around :D
Now enjoy... or DON'T!
My one year anniversary: I did a bunch of traveling and met a bunch of Dtoiders whilst doing so. Here's my one year anniversary/travel summary audio c-blog.
Other work: I also write for a site called Negative Gamer which was started by Wardrox. It's super cool and full of dinosaurs. RAWR!
I've made many a card for many a Dtoider after getting the idea from a forum thread in which Atheistium posted a template and a challenge. Currently I'm a little too busy with school/work/fighting enemies of truth and justice to make more, but I'll get another batch out eventually. Here are links to all my Dtoid card posts!
DESTRUCTOID CARDS: DEAR GOD, DO WE REALLY NEED MORE OF THESE? EDITION
So as some of you may remember, a long long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I saw this wonderful little thread and decided to contribute a few cards. An exercise that culminated in this epic rap-up post, which you can feel free to check out, if you're still confused, to get some more background information. Anyways I left the country and went to a place where internets are few and far between, but now I'm back and I'm feeling like it's time to finish this thing.
Originally I was going to do 100 cards and I ended up falling short of that goal with only 86 completed before I left. So for the next little while I'll be whiling away some of my free time making cards for various Dtoiders that I'll be picking for various reasons. Alright then, time to get down to business and make some good old fashioned Dtoid cards!
*cracks open ye olde photoshoop and a traditional coal powered internet browser*
Mini Booster pack 13: Nobody Asked For This And I'm A Slacker
Dan Gale card notes: Before I met him this guy was one of my favorite Dtoiders, mostly because of his great comments and his love of Retroforce GO!, but that didn't prepare me for the amazingness that is DAHN GAH-LAY LIVE! For reals, this guy is almost too cool for school, and school is pretty damn cool. Don't believe me? Just read this amazing c-blog detailing which songs he would like to see in Guitar Hero: World Tour. You Can't Hurry Love? The Touch? Hold The Line? You're The Best Around? It may very well be the greatest track list of all time.
As if that wasn't enough to trip your awesome alarm, he also came to Wardrox's defense just when Wardrox needed it the most. He's like a modern day Robin Hood, except for dudes that record European podcasts.
I should also point out that I stole this super emo picture of Dan from Facebook, which I've used to show you what he would look like without his Hannah Montanna fix. Frightening, I know! When he gets his Miley Cyrus on, he's about as upbeat as 1/2 a Chad Concelmo, which is to say that only 4 puppies are following him at all times instead of 8 and he only causes a single rainbow to break through the dreary London skyline rather than a double rainbow through the dreary LA skyline.
As I mentioned before: Dan also enjoys Retroforce GO! as much as I do, which is a lot (hence the classic Retroforce cube ability icons), and a while back Dyson (the then host of the show for any of you n00bs) made a joke about how he kept mispronouncing names, and that he would mispronounce a name as simple as Dan Gale as DAHN GAH-LAY! Thus a legend was born and Dan Gales name was officially changed for the better :)
The last reference comes from Mr. Gales attempt to stay on top of the European virtual console and post up reviews each week to help his fellow Eurogamers spend both their time and money wisely. Unfortunately, and perhaps inevitably, it was both Mr. Gales money and time that started running a bit short, and so the project was abandoned, but he still has an impressive back catalog of concise, informative reviews up for anyone that needs a good virtual console recommendation.
Stella Wong card notes: For those not in the know, Stella goes by the name Aiya on Destructoid, so next time you see her in the comments you'll know that it's time to shore up some RESPECT. Stella came in to become the newest member of the most wonderfullest amazingest retroest podcast that there is: Podtoid!
No, wait. I mean...
Pictured in the card along with Stella are her fellow podcasters Chad Concelmo and Collette Bennet. Now I'm pretty sure that that's Niero in the back with the helmet, but lets just pretend that it's Topher; that way my choice of picture makes more sense. So now it's Topher under that helmet OK? SO SAYETH ME!
Speaking of Topher, I'm pretty sure that it's appropriate to assume that Stella is weak to all Topher based attacks :)
For the ability icons I went with something featuring Rick "Pimp Supreme" The Hamster, partially because Stella really likes him and partially because I really like him. The card color scheme is a "Kirby pink" in a poor attempt to keep things consistent.
If you listen to Retroforce GO! at all then you know that one of the things that Stella hates are some of the terrible North American localizations of wacky Japanese games. Whether it's replacing the music with top 40 pablum, or removing content entirely, those ham fisted localizations have got to go. On a similar topic, Stella has a stellar (cwutididthur?) knowledge of obscure games of all kinds and nary a week goes by where I don't hear of some new and wonderful game that I missed, which is great even if I'll never have the means to play many of them.
Finally, Stella is notorious for her uber cute openers on Retroforce. Whether it's singing a couple of lines from a song or just saying "hi" Stella brings the cute, and the funk, every week.
Some people might be wondering why there's only 2 cards in this post (I used to put up 5 in each booster back in the day). Well all I can say is that I'm pretty busy right now getting the next stages of my life and career set up (I'm moving to Australia in January for the next 5 years) so I'm writing and shooping various things (not just cards) and posting them on a "yeah this looks more-or-less done" basis.
Just to get this out of the way: no I'm not taking requests and yes, I am going to stop at 100. I've got to cut it off somewhere :P
As always: there's nothing special about what I do with these cards. It's just a template that I shamelessly stole and tweaked ever so slightly. So if you got a hankering to make a card for yourself or someone else, by all means go for it. I just make these because I enjoy it and people seem to like them.
I know that I've said this before already, but it's good to be back :)
A while ago Dyson left Retroforce GO! without warning, and since then he has only been heard from intermittently. Soon after his departure there were hints dropped about his travels, but eventually the trail went cold. Recently there has been a flimsy attempt to convince the community that he has been busy at "work", a ruse that included a completely pre-recorded appearance on Retroforce GO!. That's right, Dyson's part on the recent RFGO! was recorded months before he seemingly fell off the face of the earth, and it has been carefully withheld in order to string us all along. No one has publicly revealed where Dyson actually is, or what he's been doing all of these months...
You see I happened to find out what Dyson was really up to while I was traveling. I’m not sure that he would want me making this public, because he avoided telling anyone out of modesty, but fuck it. In the noble tradition of JOURNALISM and TRUTH; I must expose this farce.
You see Dyson has actually been setting up retro gaming schools for children in Africa. Awesome, I know. And even better yet: I took some pictures of his school in Zambia and scanned a copy of one of his flyers describing the schools curriculum. Check ‘em out.
There you have it: undeniable proof, which was collected using both JOURNALISM and SCIENCE with a heaping helping of TRUTH, that Dyson Grigsby has been trekking the globe, trying to keep the Retro alive by making sure that the next generation of children appreciate the last generation of videogames.
Godspeed Mr. Grigsby. Godspeed.
Random quote... EXECUTE!
“Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.”
- Tomorrow (Saturday) and the next day (Sunday) I'll be available for socializing/merrymaking at your pub/house/brothel of choice!
- So far nobody has suggested a place to meet, so if I don't get anything from anyone tomorrow when I check the intertubes, then I'm going to go find a place that's fairly central, announce it on the forum thread, go there, and whomever shows up, shows up, and if it's just me, then I'll just drown my sorrows in a bottle of gin!
- I'll be around until Dec 13th and if anyone is interested in arranging a relatively large gathering before then, then by all means let eveyone know where you are and when you're free on the forum thread!
- I'll also be traveling to other places in the UK, which places partially depends on if anyone wants to meet up with me. So if you can't make it to London, but still want to meet me or arrange a gathering elsewhere, then by all means let everyone know!
I think that pretty much covers it. Just remember: I'm open to anything.
First of all: Hi to all of the Dtoiders that know who the hell I am. It's nice to be back on Destructoid again!
Second of all: Hi to all of the Dtoiders who don't know who the hell I am. I'm sure that you're all just full of awesome after the initial "Oh God it hurts so good" rape period that occurred after your introduction.
Third: I've already posted this on the forum, and I realize that I'm all selfish and whatnot, but I want to make sure that I get a hold of as many Dtoiders as possible for this.
Fourth: BUSINESS TIME!
1. I'm coming to the UK (London specifically) on Nov 27th and I'll be traveling around until Dec 12th.
2. I have no plans whatsoever during that time. I'm just going to make it up as I go.
3. I'm totally willing to travel to meet up/hang out with any UK Dtoiders that are interested.
4 n00blets. Hi, my name is Cameron, I'm 22 years old and I've been away from Dtoid for a while.
I think that's pretty much all that needs saying. If anybody wants to get together with me while I'm in the UK, or if someone wants to get a NARP together (which would be BAD-ASS), by all means, e-mail me at...
the___ghost aht hotmail dawt calm (that's a triple underscore)
I'll check my mail whenever I can, but it's going to be a bit sketch as I'm traveling to and around Madagascar for the next two weeks. So if I don't respond to any questions etc. right away, just know that it's because I hate you/can't get internet access.
With my last desperate grasp for internets, I secured myself a connection at Heathrow airport while waiting for my flight. What this means is that I can finally upload some photos (couldn't do so from my hotel).
This is one of my favorite photos, it was taken the first day I got to Seattle after I ran into Wardrox, Tazar and Pheonix Blood completely by accident. The camera is propped up on a bunch of bags. From left to right: FooLiz, Riser Glen, SuffoCat, In the back is Tazarthayoot, Droobies is in front of Tazar, Droobies girl is in front of Droobies, Myself, Pheonix Blood, Wardrox, Nintendoll and Asian Joe AKA The Incredible Edible Egg.
I got a bunch of people to sign my laptop. It all started with Niero and snowballed from there. The one signature in particular that is sorely missing is Mr. Chad "Dolphin King" Concelmo's :( I'm also looking for a way to keep the signatures from getting wiped off, right now I'm just being extra careful when handling my laptop.
Really don't think that I've gotta explain this one. That's Macca on the left there being awesome sauce all over the place.
Tazar is BAAAAAALLIN! That's that Cri-STAHL right there.
The first night I met Dyson, we were both at this bar getting wasted, and I wanted to get him to sign something, but the only thing I had were some off-sale beers that we were totally not drinking in the bar because that's totally not allowed...
Anyways, I got him to sign my beer, and here it is in all of its glory!
Droobies is just a cooler person than you are, and this picture proves it.
The man train that formed the first night that the entire group met up.
Ceark picking up SuffoCat so that he can take him back to his hotel room and sexually ravage him. Note the massive amount of swag that SuffoCat managed to grab.
Nick, Niero and CTZ. The all star lineup stops by and says hi to all the drunk Dtoiders below.
DJ Duffy, Necros, FooLiz and Kryptinite serve up a quintuple order of hawtness.
Front page this image right now.
That is all :)
I could use a picture of this scene that's technically "better", but in this one you can see the tears starting to well up in Niero and Rio's eyes. This was taken on the last night of PAX just before things were starting to wind down.
I just fucking love this picture. Tazar (right) and DVDesign (left) move in while Pheonix is distracted...
Probably the best picture of Dyson that I've seen so far.
These are pictures taken of "the survivors" that left Tuesday night. The brave men (Asian Joe, whom is not pictured, ScottyG, Tazar and myself) and women (Wardrox and Pheonix) that made it through PAX and decided that they weren't done yet. These were taken at the hotel just before our bus came to pick us up.
Well that pretty much does it for me. Some of these are my pictures and some of them are FooLiz's, hopefully I didn't step on her toes by posting some.
Forgive me Liz? :)
For a recap of some of my thoughts on some of the community members, check my last blog. Who knows? Maybe I mention YOU! Maybe it's something scathing! Maybe I shooped a picture of me peeing on your grandmothers grave or something! Maybe I did pee on your grandmothers grave! You won't know unless you read it.
As always, thanks for reading my ramblings, and I'll be back on Destructoid in a few short months.
Random quote... EXECUTE!
"None of these blogs have captured what PAX actually FELT like or meant. Only Chads really came anywhere close."
WARNING: THIS BLOG CONTAINS MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF ME SPOOGING ALL OVER EVERYONE THAT I MET AT PAX AND THERE WONT BE ANY PICTURES SINCE I CAN'T SEEM TO UPLOAD THEM FROM THE HOTEL I'M IN. I ALSO WONâ€™T BE ABLE TO READ THE COMMENTS FOR 4 MONTHS.
Since there will inevitably be like 1000 PAX related c-blogs coming soon to a Destructoid near you, Iâ€™ll try to keep this short (I will also likely fail). PAX was an amazing experience and I would highly recommend that anyone who is interested in both having fun and meeting awesome people start saving money for next year. You could not ask for a better way to spend your shekels (thatâ€™s for you Tazar) than by coming down to hang out with all of the amazing community members and Dtoid staff. Personally I had never joined any kind of online community before early this year, not even a forum, and I wasnâ€™t really sure what it was going to be like actually meeting all of these essentially random people from the internet. As it turns out, pretty much everyone is absolutely amazing, and youâ€™ll probably hear many different people saying the same thing in the PAX c-blog flood.
It was essentially like a weekend long group hug, only with more liquor.
The last night of PAX was actually a tearful goodbye, with both Niero and Rio getting a little misty eyed after we got kicked out of the bar and many people started taking off. It was totally insane to me that a bunch of random people that met over a gaming website could develop connections like that, but it also felt totally natural somehow.
Iâ€™m heading to Zambia to teach at a nursing college (among other things) until December 13th, and I never thought that I would be this depressed that I would be in a place without internet for a few months, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
YET MOAR WARNING: The next part of this post is going to be personal thoughts about some of the Dtoiders that I met and some of the things that happened to me at PAX, so if that sounds boring, then you should probably leave now...
This will get pretty long if I donâ€™t mention someone please donâ€™t take it personally. I just canâ€™t mention everyone that I met because there were just too damn many. Iâ€™m also typing this up at 4 in the morning because I canâ€™t sleep with CTZ snoring, and Iâ€™m still somewhat buzzed from PAX, so my writing and memory might not be so great. Now on with the show!
- When I met Samit Sarkar for the first time we just sat down and talked for quite some time. Hereâ€™s the thing though: Dtoid and videogames almost never entered into the conversation. We just kind of got into discussions very naturally, and I thought to myself: wow, why canâ€™t I meet people like this where I live?
- Chad â€śSouplantation Superfanâ€ť Concelmo was AMAZING. Seriously, I canâ€™t even believe how nice that guy is and it depresses me to no end that he left before I was able to get his signature on my laptop. I guess Iâ€™ll just have to show up to the Dtoid anniversary or something ;)
- Blehman blew me away. Not only is the dude just as witty and awesome in person as he is on the site, but heâ€™s super easy going and doesnâ€™t afraid of anything. We went to see Frontalot together, and I just wish that he had been able to stay for longer (Chad too!) so that I could put several more babies in him.
- Lovely lovely Pheonix Blood was one of the first people I met from the Dtoid community because I just so happened to be walking through a mall where she, Wardrox, Tazar and a few other people were grabbing lunch. I couldnâ€™t have asked for a better group of people to have run into. A few minutes after I had met them I was waiting in line for food and Tazar slapped my ass HARD followed by Holly getting right up in my face, staring me down, and then giving me a peck on the lips. It took me about 3 hours to process what the hell had just happened.
- Unlike Tazar and Holly, Wardrox skipped the foreplay and went straight for the gay sex, which I pretty much figured was coming, but what I didnâ€™t know was that he was also going to turn out to be a Wii fanboy. THATâ€™S RIGHT, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST: WARDROX IS A WII FANBOY! In all seriousness though, Wardrox was an intellectually stimulating guy to talk to, and it was a lot of fun just shooting the shit with him.
- Dyson was a goddamn train wreck of awesome, and was a blast to hang out with. He also signed a beer for me that I will never ever drink. EVER. Iâ€™m still finding it kind of surreal that he also started my favourite podcast of all time. All awesome all the time indeed.
- Topher and Stella I didnâ€™t see much of, but I did want to say this: they were both super cool people, and I wish that I had been able to chat with both of them a bit more. Oh, and If Topher is reading this: I was not disappointed in the least man; you got me loving shmups.
- McSnow was a thoroughbred bad-ass extraordinaire and we ended up spending quite a bit of time together over the weekend. He was always a relaxed and engaging guy, and it was great just hanging out with him during the whole event.
- Necros got lit on fire (if the video isnâ€™t up yet, it will be soon), put on joker makeup and basically just made me laugh a lot. Now the question I have to ask myself is this: is he a cool guy, or the coolest guy?
- Tazar deserves another mention for being the king of innuendo and the single entendre. Just throwing that out there.
- Holly also gets another mention for telling me that I sometimes do stuff thatâ€™s sexy, but then again I also do some stuff thatâ€™s pretty gay. I think that Iâ€™m just going to mentally block out that second part ;)
And before anyone asks: no Iâ€™m not gay. Smartasses.
- FooLiz, McSnow and I formed the commonwealth comrades (name pending final FooLiz approval for being too communist sounding) and mediating the Australia/UK conflict has become one of my favourite PAX memories. Hereâ€™s hoping I get into Med School in Australia!
- As it turns out, Ceark and I are no match for Rio when it comes to Mario Kart DS. She beat the hell out of us like red headed stepchildren even after we decided to team up against her, leaving us hollow shells of the men that we once were. SuffoCat tells me that he can beat her, but I donâ€™t believe him ;)
P.S. Rio has the coolest mom on the planet
- DJ Duffy and her girlfriend Liz along with Scotty G and myself made up the Canadian contingent at PAX, and I was extremely happy to have met all of them as sometimes it feels like Iâ€™m the only Canadian on Dtoid. Hopefully Mix can make it next time too :)
The above list is me just trying to get a few (certainly not all) of those specific memories out onto a blog before I start to forget things, and is by no means a list of all the people that I met that were supreme examples of the way people should be. What was great about PAX for me was that most of the conversations I had and things that I did didnâ€™t have to do with videogames. For me the games were a peripheral thing, and the main thrust was basically just hanging out with everyone and talking about whatever came to mind. I never felt awkward or at a loss for words when I was hanging out with everyone and great conversations just seemed to flow constantly one into another.
Over the next while people will no doubt get sick and tired of hearing variations on the phrase â€śit was great, everyone was awesomeâ€ť over and over again, but itâ€™s going to get used so often because itâ€™s true. Hereâ€™s a short, and incomplete, list of people that knocked my socks off that I have yet to mention.
- Colette (I still canâ€™t believe that you said that you had already recognized me when I introduced myself)
- .Tiff (youâ€™ll be missed!)
- Riser Glen (turns out heâ€™s actually a pretty cool guy, go figure ;)
- Butmac/-D- (theyâ€™re like the same person)
- The Incredible Edible Egg
- Dale North
- Naia and Zero Atma
- Husky Hog and the mystery of the disappearing hat
- Conrad Zimmerman
- Fuck it, just go look at the list of PAX attendees. There isnâ€™t a name on there that I met that doesnâ€™t deserve to be mentioned.
- Even better yet, take a look at one of the group shots that was taken after the Dtoid panel. Yes, we are actually having as much fun as it looks.
- Hell, Iâ€™d say that weâ€™re having MORE fun than it looks
- Also note that Chad is floating a couple of feet above everyone. He was standing on a rainbow that magically formed underneath his feet from positivity spill-over.
Finally I just want to mention Niero. I could talk about how he got the bill for like 50 people (maybe more?) that one night, or his awesome speech at the Dtoid panel (including answering my incredibly poorly phrased question by getting at what I was really trying to ask), but all Iâ€™m going to say is this: Niero is the kind of guy that you want to see succeed. He was humble and the epitome of graciousness, despite having to balance the craziness of PAX with actual work. Thank you Mr. Robot in chief, thank you for making a place where a community like this one can form and someone like me that doesnâ€™t really know any other gamers can find some sanctuary, and even meet up with other like-minded people.
Well, the sunâ€™s coming up and it sounds like Dyson, CTZ, Wardrox and The Incredible Edible Egg are starting to wake up. Looks like itâ€™s time for me to go get in some more good times before I take off this evening for Zambia. See you in December Destructoid!