Well ladies and gents we find ourselves on the precipous(SP?) of a new year. New possibilities , new one night stands , new bad music , new cinema , and new games with which we invest our god given capatalistic wages and time...only to find out that we would have been better off trying to collect a metric ton of monkey spunk in a bathtub. So my question for you is what do you think the hot trends this year will be. What will make it and what will fake it?
Without further adue I present Revolutionary's top ten trends of 2008
10) The Rise of E-Paper.
-In all honesty this is more of a hope then an actual predicition. I've been reading articles everywhere about how Sony and Microsoft have been putting R&D into E-Paper.
To me it has always seemed like the ideal resource to reduce logging issues. Who wouldn't want a tiny one sheet digital instruction guide with MGS4 or GoW2? granted the tech is still in development but I think we will hear more about this in '08.
9) Lowest viewed MLB season in history.
- Ever since the fiasco that the Mitchell Report has stirred up I've seen more and more old school MLB fans turn their back from the sport. It was known as Americas Pasttime , but with more and more negative light being reflected onto the sport it's obvious that the sport needs a serious revision. With declining ratings in the All Star Games and the World Series for almost 8 years and an increase in NFL and NBA popularity 2008 is going to have a rough time pulling people back into the MLB.
8) Internet TV shows will gain ground.
- Most major TV networks have already noted that they are looking into webisode based TV series. I'm not 100% sure how well this will play out but with the widespread usage of the internet , lowered costs for broadband access , and the price of PC's lowering to ridiculous standards I would not be suprised if this trend caught on
7) Celebrity Deaths.
-I never said these would all be happy or tech related >.>. With the amount of coke and sex that modern days teen starlets take part in I would not be suprised if we saw some serious celeb deaths in '08. Hell even putting the blow and cock aside these celebs drive worse then Billy Joel after one too many Tequilla Slammers.
6) Welcome to 4G.
-With the 700MHZ Wireless Spectrum auction fast approaching I'm tossing my opinion into the ring and saying that with the inevitable adoption of HSOPA to most cellphone providers , massively increased air support , and increased service range that the trop providers AT&T , Verizon , Sprint , will begin to experiement with over-the-air boradband speeds approaching 150+MBPS. With wireless net speeds set to double , HDD and flash memory increasing my leaps and bounds , international GSM functionality becoming widespread and supported , and the 700MHZ spectrum being auctioned off I'm damn sure that the era of 3g will be coming to an end sooner then most think.
5) Judd Apatow and company=Funny.
- After having seen Talladega , Knocked up and Superbad I'm damn certain that these guys are the new comic geniuses. With his National lampoon-esque quick riffs and jabs and frequent casting of newcomers who display this comic bravado that I havn't seen since the early days of Mad Tv and SNL Judd Apatow and Co have what it takes to define modern day comedy(at least for me). Keep an eye out for "The Pineapple Express"
4) Indy/Underground= Cool?
- With more and more great titles being released on XBL and the PSN I'm damn certain that '08 will usher in the era of wicked indy/UG development. We saw alot of fantastic titles in 2007 and we can only hope that 2008 keeps the trend up. Now I'd also like to point out that I mean software and app creation also. With people continuing to utilize the PSP , DS , iPhone , and tons of other devices only time will tell what our beloved internet will bring to our mobile devices.
3) Touchscreen across the board.
-We are all videogame fans. We've witnessed the meteoric rise of the DS onto the throne of handheld gaming and I'm damn sure that we are tech fans on some level so we watched the iPhone grab the nuts of the cell phone world and pull. With touchscreen functionality available to the mass market at the cheapest it's ever been we have seen dozens of companies experiment with it and release their respective devices on the market. From the Nintendo DS to Sony's E-Book...it's apparent that we enjoy putting our fingers on things o.O Nowhere has touchscreen been implemented more in 2007 then in the cellphone world with the release of such devices as the iPhone , the HTC Touch , Tytn , LG Prada , and the LG Voyager. My call is that with acoustic pulse recognition and dispersive signal technology being studied by MIT and the DoD I'm sure we will see some great strides made in touchscreen.
2)Ps3 will start to be cool?
- I have to admit...I owned a Ps3 and sold it to make a quick $...do I regret it...not one bit. When I got my Ps3 was at launch and while I thought it looked neat it just did not have enough titles to hook me into keeping a $600+ system...now '08 may change that. With games like MGS4 , La Noire , Killzone , and God Of War 3 in dev or set to come out I can definitely see the Ps3 moving up in the world. Not to mention that all of the titles PLUS lowered system costs are a definite upside to buying one.
And what is my numero uno call for 2008? What will top my list of the big things to happen next year!
1) Wii will Wii will...not rock you?
-I owned a Wii for three months and in those three months there were no games released for the system that could warrant me not selling it to make a pretty penny. Now I've played Galaxy and I'm sure that Brawl will be great...but I'm sorry to all of you Wii fanboys out there. Your system is a fad and it's a fad that will start to burn out in '08. Hell even Nintendo was surprised at the success of the Wii and I have to admit that I still am. I don't see enough solid title coming out for the Wii in '08 for me to to not make this call and all I see are Nintendo playing their "indecisive card" which is causing the real potential of th system to be lost. I could pound out each and every thing that the Wii needs to maintain it's staying power but for now I'll list a few.
-Lose friend numbers. Jesus christ these annoyed the fuck out of me and they still do. Let people name their system or their Mii and use that as the defacto rep for their system for online play or w.e
-Streamline your damn near non-existant online functionality.I understand that the Wii is primarily a single player experience. But with a huge multiplayer title like Brawl coming out you should be focusing your efforts on maximizing what the Wii ca do online. Hell look at what a good online network did for Microsoft?...aside from spawn racists >.>;
-Wireless sensor bar. The Wii has a bluetooth sensor...can we please just go completely wireless. If you can pound out the lag in the control and nunchauku then I'm damn certain you can make a functioning wireless sensor bar.
-This one aint so big...but can I get more colors? I'd really like to see the red , green , orange , and black Wii be released like you originally planned.
Well guys thats it for my 2008 call. Some may happen and some may not...but hey , who really cares? We are going to get some bitching games and tech devices. So I raise my glass to you fellow D-tards *raise* Happy New Year