Friday Night Fights is a weekly event where we, community members, cooperate with or murder each other online. There is a forum thread for planning and then a blog post here with the final schedule. Keep an eye out for both them if you want to play some games.
• Keep yourself up to date on the schedule. The list in the forums can change several times throughout the week.
• Leave a message with your PSN name and which games from the schedule you want to play. More people will play if other people are playing, so speak up.
• Send a PSN friend request to the person hosting the game which includes a message with your Dtoid name. If you leave out who you are on the site, they might think you're just a random friend request and ignore you.
• If you want your game listed on the schedule, we need the game, the time, and your PSN ID. We need the specific game, not an abbreviation that applies to more than one; a start time, even if you're playing "all night"; and we need your PSN ID even if you think we know it already.
• Don't worry about hosting the same game or hosting a game at the same time as someone else. Instead, think of it like a movie theater; more than one game can run at the same time.
• Make sure you have at least an hour to play. That's only two or three matches of the average shooter and those go by pretty quick.
• Check the comments, on both the forum post and the cblog when it goes up on Friday, to see if someone has said they'll play. You might have missed their PSN message or your friend list might be full.
I am so pumped about playing Dark Souls co-op again. I've been through it so many times that, even with its quality, it's less about exploring and more about ticking the boxes on an incredibly detailed map. If I get to wander around with someone else who doesn't already know it all, I'm back in the game plus I get to help out someone if they get really stuck.
Here are some quick tips for Thyme and anybody else new to the game:
-Keys are a lot more important in Dark Souls than in Demon's Souls. Since the game is now open, your path is guided mostly by keys and their descriptions can tell you where to go next.
-If you get the Firekeeper Soul from the parish, don't eat it. I realize you want to get more o' them huge manatees, but it's too valuable. Take it to the really talkative lady down the stairs at Firelink.
-But not the stairs that lead to the horrible skeleton death zone! Don't go there, go the other way. Not the elevator to the horrible ghost death zone! Take the stairs that lead up toward the enemies that you can kill without being reduced to tears.
-If you hide on the middle of the bridge, against the wall, you can avoid the dragon's flames and it will eventually jump down. That is your chance to run past it and rest at that bonfire. If you're too slow, it will start to blast the bonfire area with fire as well, but you can hide outside to the right until it gets bored.
Welcome to the Playstation side of Destructoid's Friday Night Fights! Every Friday, members of the Destructoid community get together online to play games and all you need to join is a user account. Down below, you'll find a list of games that we'll play tonight along with the times they'll start, the people that you should hit up for invites, and any other information that you may need.
If you want to play, leave a comment with the games from the schedule you want to play and your PSN name. You should also send a PSN friend request to the host, including a message to say who you are here on Destructoid so they know you're one of the cool people and not just some random friend request.
If your favorite game isn't on the schedule, host it yourself! You just need to give us the game, start time, and your PSN name so people know what, when and who. It's also wise to list DLC requirements, game or server names, and anything else people might need to join just so you don't need to message it to everyone individually. Last minute additions in the comments here are fine, but games can also be added earlier in the week by visiting the forums and finding the thread with the coming Friday's date. Adding a game there ensures it's on the blog from the moment it goes up.