Friday Night Fights is a weekly event where we, community members, cooperate with or murder each other online. There is a forum thread for planning and then a blog post here with the final schedule. Keep an eye out for both them if you want to play some games.
• Keep yourself up to date on the schedule. The list in the forums can change several times throughout the week.
• Leave a message with your PSN name and which games from the schedule you want to play. More people will play if other people are playing, so speak up.
• Send a PSN friend request to the person hosting the game which includes a message with your Dtoid name. If you leave out who you are on the site, they might think you're just a random friend request and ignore you.
• If you want your game listed on the schedule, we need the game, the time, and your PSN ID. We need the specific game, not an abbreviation that applies to more than one; a start time, even if you're playing "all night"; and we need your PSN ID even if you think we know it already.
• Don't worry about hosting the same game or hosting a game at the same time as someone else. Instead, think of it like a movie theater; more than one game can run at the same time.
• Make sure you have at least an hour to play. That's only two or three matches of the average shooter and those go by pretty quick.
• Check the comments, on both the forum post and the cblog when it goes up on Friday, to see if someone has said they'll play. You might have missed their PSN message or your friend list might be full.
I got a Playstation 4 and I told you about my first bit of time with it, but I wanted to put down a little bit more about Warframe. I really do think it's fun to play. While not the most polished game overall, it's got a lot of variety and freedom to customize. The graphics are good, if unreal engine-ey, and the style is right out of that Dark Sector concept (for the obvious reason) that I was so disappointed didn't come to be. I even like the incredibly hammy voice acting for some of the characters. I know I'm enjoying it because it's easier to talk about what I don't like. If I didn't like it, it wouldn't be so easy to pick out the specific flaws.
The point at which Warframe is the worst, in my experience, is 'the wall'. I started out with a bunch of credits and I was gaining double credits; I probably gained over a million in three days, but I had nothing to spend them on. Blueprints for things I wanted were level locked and the materials I need to craft them are on planets I have not yet gained access to. I probably couldn't survive on them even if I could, because my gear isn't very good.
The main leveling (called mastery) in Warframe is entirely based on leveling up gear, so if I max out my weapons and can't make new ones, my mastery stops increasing up and I stop gaining access to new weapons. And to make any gear viable, I need lots of mods, and the mods have to be upgraded. To get more X, I need more Y; to get more Y, I need more Z; to get more Z, I need more X. On top of this, there's the inventory space, available only for the real money currency of platinum. Or I could just throw out the weapons I spent so much time crafting and upgrading, and have to craft and upgrade them again if I ever want them back. I will not have enough credits, not have enough materials, not have enough space, and my overall progress will come to a standstill.
Of course, it will all go away if I just spend some money. I love coop games, I love random levels even if it needs to be turned up some, I even love the arbitrary build timers. I've been building a new suit of armor since Tuesday and it's going to be ready about the time I get home from work this evening. I don't like making zero progress because I won't pay real money for pretend things, or worse yet, pretend storage space for pretend things. I don't care how down you were on GTAO, you could always make progress, gaining money and XP, through selling cars, armored trucks, crate drops, Simeon texts, and missions. Doing that shit is why I have to decide if I drive my chrome EntityXF or my chrome Adder and have a million spare dollars on top of that. Warframe has thirteen mastery ranks and I'm not sure I'll ever reach six because I won't want to destroy some of the things I can make.
Welcome to the Playstation side of Destructoid's Friday Night Fights! Every Friday, members of the Destructoid community get together online to play games and all you need to join is a user account. Down below, you'll find a list of games that we'll play tonight along with the times they'll start, the people that you should hit up for invites, and any other information that you may need.
If you want to play, leave a comment with the games from the schedule you want to play and your PSN name. You should also send a PSN friend request to the host, including a message to say who you are here on Destructoid so they know you're one of the cool people and not just some random friend request.
If your favorite game isn't on the schedule, host it yourself! You just need to give us the game, start time, and your PSN name so people know what, when and who. It's also wise to list DLC requirements, game or server names, and anything else people might need to join just so you don't need to message it to everyone individually. Last minute additions in the comments here are fine, but games can also be added earlier in the week by visiting the forums and finding the thread with the coming Friday's date. Adding a game there ensures it's on the blog from the moment it goes up.
Anarchy Reigns with Lion Time 9:00pm
I find the open matches kind of annoying (everyone plays as Bayonetta), so I'd prefer it if you friend me on PSN and I'll invite you into a private game. Wanted to mess around with different modes, so.... Does anyone have problems with bots if we're too few?
Killzone: Shadow Fall with Trev Time 10:00pm
Persona 4 Arena with Marche Time 10:00pm
Dragon's Crown with Shin Time 10:00pm
Time for Ancient Dragon on Hard Mode. And don't forget, this is cross play with Vita.