Welcome to the home of PlayStation Friday Night Fights.
Friday Night Fights is a weekly event where we, community members, cooperate with or murder each other online. There is a forum thread for planning and then a blog post here with the final schedule. Keep an eye out for both them if you want to play some games.
• Keep yourself up to date on the schedule. The list in the forums can change several times throughout the week.
• Leave a message with your PSN name and which games from the schedule you want to play. More people will play if other people are playing, so speak up.
• Send a PSN friend request to the person hosting the game which includes a message with your Dtoid name. If you leave out who you are on the site, they might think you're just a random friend request and ignore you.
• If you want your game listed on the schedule, we need the game, the time, and your PSN ID. We need the specific game, not an abbreviation that applies to more than one; a start time, even if you're playing "all night"; and we need your PSN ID even if you think we know it already.
• Don't worry about hosting the same game or hosting a game at the same time as someone else. Instead, think of it like a movie theater; more than one game can run at the same time.
• Make sure you have at least an hour to play. That's only two or three matches of the average shooter and those go by pretty quick.
• Check the comments, on both the forum post and the cblog when it goes up on Friday, to see if someone has said they'll play. You might have missed their PSN message or your friend list might be full.
My opinion of Chrono Phantasma is sort of mixed. They buffed Bang and Arakune in important ways, but also took away things I liked about them. Valkenhayn is apparently getting a bit of tweaking in a patch in addition to what he got between games, but I keep whiffing what was one of his strongest normal attacks. I'll have to work on that. He's supposed to be one of the strongest characters. On the bright side, Amane is cool. Apparently also bottom of every tier list, but still cool, like a combination of Leeron and Scorpion. And he is looking for some beautiful men. For dancing, of course. He's fun to play and has some very funny lines. I don't think any of us are playing at a skill level where tiers matter. On top of that, BlazBlue is balanced well enough that tiers are more a rating of how hard you have to work. No character is just totally outmatched, you just have to be on the ball to overcome... unless you're fighting Kokonoe, which means the only way to win is to just your game off, because Kokonoe.
Mercenary Kings is pushing my buttons. For every one thing I like, there are two or three that I don't. I'm going to stick with it a while longer, but it was free so I don't have the stubborn drive to get my money's worth out of it. It's got the delayed jumps of Castlevania, but much pickier projectile blocking. It's got medusa heads and those helicopter things from Mega Man, but I can't fire at an angle to hit them and the movement isn't Mega Man responsive to navigate around them. There's a time limit, but the boss can move around the map mid-fight, like it just walks through a big door and teleports to the other end of the map. The damage model is unforgiving, but enemies respawn infinitely and instantly. I'm just not quite sure what this game wants to be or wants from me. I don't think I'm having fun scouring a very samey level for ten gold coins instead of chasing a boss across it a few times.
Welcome to the Playstation side of Friday Night Fights! Every Friday, members of the community get together online to play games and all you need to join is a user account. Down below, you'll find a list of games that we'll play tonight along with the times they'll start, the people that you should hit up for invites, and any other information that you may need.
If you want to play, leave a comment with the games from the schedule you want to play and your PSN name. You should also send a PSN friend request to the host and mention your username here in the message so they know you're one of the cool people and not just some random friend request.
If your favorite game isn't on the schedule, host it yourself! You just need to give us the game, start time, and your PSN name so people know what, when and who. It's also wise to list DLC requirements, game or server names, and anything else people might need to join just so you don't need to message it to everyone individually. Last minute additions in the comments here are fine, but games can also be added earlier in the week by visiting the forums and finding the thread with the coming Friday's date. Adding a game there ensures it's on the blog from the moment it goes up.