As you probably noticed we experienced some unexpected downtime this afternoon from 7pm-8pm CST due to three reasons that, when combined, caused a meltdown: (a) someone filed a copyright violation against a cblogger (see below) for copy/pasting the entirety of their content and (b) our hosting company is migrating to a new software that isn't sending out email notices for trouble tickets and (c) didn't have my new address, so I found out that they were trying to reach me after our load balancing hardware was unplugged. Super!
It took us an hour to pull the blog post, contact their lawyer, point our site to a backup, get the legal stuff worked out, have them plug the server back in, switch our stuff back, yadda yadda. Moral of the story: please be very careful about attribution. Its fine to copy/paste a fraction of someone's content but taking entire stories off of another site is frowned upon. What a mission. At least we're back up and Colette ordered chicken wings. (sigh)
To Whom It May Concern,
I am writing to you to avail myself of my rights under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). This letter is a Notice of Infringement as authorized in 512(c) of the U.S. Copyright Law. I wish to report what I feel in good faith is an instance of Copyright Infringement. The infringing material appears on the service for which you are the designated agent.
The DMCA clearly speficies on Section 202(c) that a service provider will also become liable unless upon notification of claimed infringement as described in paragraph (3), responds expeditiously to remove, or disable access to, the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity.
1. The material which I contend belongs to me, and appears illegally on the Service is the following:
18 Undiscovered Websites Every Gamer Should Know
2. The original material appears on my website at this address:
3. The infringing material appears at the website address:
4. My contact information is as follows:
5. I have a good faith belief that the use of the material that appears on the service is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law.
6. The information in this notice is accurate, and I am either the copyright owner or I am authorize to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
I declare under the perjury laws of the United States of America that this notification is true and correct.