Well it has certainly been awhile since my last update. The news is, Crux has been delayed and set aside as a future project. The scope of the project was apparently too much for the group to handle. With only a few short weeks left to go in the class, we would not have had anything substantial to show off for portfolio night. SO, we settled on a simpler project, a 2.5 Dementional arcade style hack & slash sidescroller! Yes, that's a genre. Anyway, it involves a young wolf pup, the son of the Big Bad Wolf from the Fairy Tale story, Little Red Riding Hood. This pup, Wolfie, is out to get Lil Red and Grandma, and must defend himself against angry villagers.
I've been working on Creating Scenes in unity for our win screen, main menu, and game over(lose) screen. It was more complicated than I initially thought but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I was all finished within a class period. The part that really stumped me was getting the buttons in the right position of the screen based off the screen's width and height. That took the most time, with a lot of trial and error.
I was given the responsibility of creating the layout of the level in our game. I have done 2D level design once before when I was working with ObscureFish, but my skills are still under developed in that area, so the level is really basic. Of course, my original design wouldn't be fully implemented because of the amount of time left before we need to present our project. Either way, I got in a bit of experience working on levels. I enjoyed it while it lasted, perhaps I'll continue working in that area on my own and for future projects. With the help of Dan, we got my drawing of the level in digital form on a google doc online for everyone to see in class. And Jon turned the flat images into the 3D world we now have in our build. One thing I learned while working on level design is to not forget to SCALE my designs. Scale is one of the most important things when it comes to levels, or a game in general..I'll never forget that, and of course, to electronically map out my designs, or at least use graphing paper :P
I took the responsibility to create the health bars for our main character, Wolfie, and the boss/bosses we'll have in our game, Lil Red(Red riding hood), and Grandma. I've worked with health before in small projects on my own before, so I didn't think linking that with a GUI healthbar would be that much different...It wouldn't, but having never done it before, it could be a real pain. It took me about 3 days, doing research, and playing around with numbers in unity to figure out how to get the healthbars to look right, and function correctly(go down when player gets hit). I come in to class that next week, showing off what I had accomplished, only to be showed up by, the only true programmer we have in the group. What took me 3 days and 8 lines of code to finish, he did in a matter of minutes using only 2 lines of code! -_- Not to mention, I made 4 different variations of the same script, until I finally got it right. I'm not tripping over it though, because I learned a more efficient way of scripting, which is why I'm in school, right? Anyway, I was glad it got done. Now I just need to figure out how to make lives, *sigh*...
Everyone loves respawning, and that's why I made a respawn script! My first respawn script was written so that there was only one respawn point half way through the level once you've reached that checkpoint. After you died, you would spawn there every time. Given the simplicity of our game, it was sufficient in serving its purpose, but with the criticism of our lovely programmer, he brought to my attention that if we were to have multiple spawn points in our scene, my code would be incomplete. He then told me what a "master programmer" would do to combat this scenario. All I had to do was make it so when the player collides with a spawn point, it sets that point as the primary point to respawn at. Thus, making the script's function more dynamic, rather than just designating one specific gameObject to serve as a spawn point. It was simple enough to understand, and just as easy to code, minus a small "if statement" argument that I over-looked.
A lot of play testing was done this week, finding bugs, and getting a feeling for difficulty and game flow as a gamer. Except for a few scaling issues, enemy behavior problems, and being able to run to either side of the level and jump off into the abyss, the game seems pretty much finished. It could use some good arcade style music though. I'll be sure to bring that to the groups attention.view gallery