I've posted up quite a few blogs now, without introduction and so here it is; I think there's nothing better than a list of loves and hates to get people interested- especially the hates! Just as a basic overview; I live in the North West of England and have been a console owner since my dad bought be the Atari 2600, well over twenty-odd years ago (followed by the C64, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii and now X-box 360) I have always been a Nintendoid really since I played on my best mates NES- playing Super Mario Bros, Megaman 2 and Duck Tales to death.
I recently traded my Wii in because I grew disallusioned with the crap games that were coming out for it (see my other blogs) good games seemed few and far between, big name games were usually shadows of their x-box and Sony counterparts and what good stuff we did get tended to have crappy 'waggle' controls thrown in or extra 'Partii' modes that were aimed at kids and old folks. I saw that the '360 had a great lineup of games coming out for it, so I got an xbox 360 and haven't looked back!
I love my job, but it takes me all over the country on some weeks. I mostly drive now, but I used to be on and around trains a lot at one point, and it was around this time that I discovered Retroforce Go and dTOID..
So here goes, in no particular order;
(1) My soul mate and partner for eight years, Lisa. And I still feel exactly the same way about her as when we first met. I think I'm pretty lucky because both my brother and sister have gone through a few partners, but Lisa was my first long term girlfriend and now we're engaged.
(2) My chocolate Labrador Retriever, Campbell and cat, Ash. I also own a couple of lizards; A leopard gecko and frilled dragon.
(3) Football- or 'soccer' as our USA friends might call the sport. Never understood that; what you guys call 'football' is basically Rugby with a few added rules, extra padding and modified bike helmets. I'm no expert, but it appears to me that most of the time the ball is actually in the players hands- so why do you call it 'football?' Just a thought! Either way I support my local team, Manchester United and I also watch my brother play for his local team. I also like FIFA 09 a lot.
(4) Takeaways! My only vice really, I don't smoke (never have done) I rarely drink, but I often treat myself to a kebab, curry, Chinese or even fried chicken once a week. I also love Kopparberg Pear Cider, and JD & Coke when I do have a tipple.
(5) My PC and X-Box 360: My PC is an XPS 600 that I bought a couple of years ago and it's still running strong. I didn't think it would be as future proof as it actually turned out to be. I also love to do a bit of console gaming (not as often as I'd like actually) but with work and life in general I often only get a handful of hours each week max to do some on-line gaming.
I could also add books (I love horror- especially Stephen King) and movies (one of our biggest passtimes at home) but as its just the five i'll move onto 'hates....'
(1) Arrogant and arsey People are a big hate of mine, especially those that patronise you. I often meet people in my line of work that give you some real grief over nothing and I think to myself "I don't care how matter how stressed or pressurised I am- I never take it out on anyone else, so why should you talk to me like that?" There's no excuse for being a git- no matter how successful you are or what your line of work is. Treat people how you would like to be treated.
(2) People who claim benefits and don't work when there is nothing wrong with them. I really resent working my backside off and paying tax when some of my money goes towards looking after lazy benefit claimers who are just too lazy to work. I know quite a few people claiming sickness benefit for non-existant 'stress' . It's funny how it is the same people who are always asking to borrow cash- yet some of them actually have more disposable income than me. GET A JOB!
(3) On-line console disconnectors. I used to be even more frustrated when I had the Wii, because I couldn't communicate with whoever I was playing (see previous blog) but at least now (with XBLA) I can message them and ask them why they disconnected just before the end of the game. It is such a selfish act really when you think about it. You might get a win given, but all other stats are usually made null and void by the disconnection. In FIFA 09 I could be winning 9-0, but the loser disconnects in the last minute and all I get is a win. He's going to be given a loss (most of the time) anyway- so why deprive the winner of goals (or whatever merit is in the game)?
(4) Paris Hilton and other talent-less celebrities out there who shamelessy leach off their parents success. America is riddled with them if you believe the TV shows. Like Hulk Hogans daughter- I can sing better than her- but her dad opens doors for her and she's given air time. It's all crap. Celebrity in general and the 'E!' generation really grate on me. Who gives a crap about Nicole Ritchies new lip gloss ffs?
(5) Idiots that listen to Dance & R&B music; I like rock and metal music (generally speaking) so stereotypically you would think that I have long hair, smoke weed, wear band shirts and ride a motor bike with a German WW2 style helmet. None of the above actually. However (here in England at least) most of the people that live on the council estates near where I live listen to R&B and Dance Music. Their profiles are all the same; white and about as close to 'the American hood' as the Queen, live in council housing, go out drinking a lot even when they can't afford it, wear tracksuit bottoms and own a Staffordshire or Pit Bull Terrier. They usually listen to some of this modern crap that passes for 'R&B' as loud as they possibly can, in their house or in their car- with little respect for the actual history behind the music.
So um.. thats it. I hope to stay here and post up some more as and when I can! Thanks! read