As usual, Destructoid's April fool's joke broke the cblogs for a whole day. It was just the layout, so not quite as bad as when they made them basically inaccessible on a Friday. Maybe they can take a lesson from Gaijin Games next time. These rainbow-shooting ponies, apparently, were not only added to the game, but were downright OP. That's the impression I'm getting, anyway.
Edit: Oh, wait. It looks like the sections for cblogs are still a bunch of reddit shit instead of the normal options.
In other news, I think that Dark Souls PC mod that ensures you can see your friends soul signs is complete dook, sacrificing the spirit of the game for the purposes of mild convenience is the sort of thing that has been making games into homogenized, boring hallways. It's difficult-to-impossible to intentionally meet up with someone in Dark Souls because it's supposed to be. It's shocking that people don't understand this or, for that matter, do understand and complain about it anyway. And don't give me that wishy-washy, "but it doesn't change your experience if someone else uses it" bullshit. I can look down on them for modding unique systems into boring, conventional ones all I like. Oh, but it's more convenient. How nice. Gamers demand something new and different, and then cut it out when it's outside their tiny comfort zone only to complain again when companies give them cookie cutter games. The message of this "fix" is that superficial originality trumps the actually unique multiplayer system. You find a glowy thing on the ground in-game, but it's still just a list of people you've approved, and if the connection pool is entirely filled up by your friends then what? No invasions from anyone that will be ruthless to you and no random co-op? You've exchanged something unique for just another invite system dressed up so you can still pretend you're not one of those casuals. I'm sure we'll hear about how lazy it is if Dark Souls 2 uses a standard invite system too. They've already said it's going to be "more straightforward." I can only hope that Scamco doesn't screw it up too much to appease people like this.
It truly is unfortunate that more developers don't have the balls that FromSoft does. Dead Space 3 was good fun, but the DLC has watered down versions of things I hoped to find in the whole game. It could have been remarkable rather than just fun, if only they were more interested in impressing gamers instead of placating the chubby-fingered, lily-soft consumers that get all pouty when their participation trophy isn't shiny enough. Grow a pair of whatever things you want two of and deal with it, or have enough guts not to beg for acceptance by "liking" the same things as other people while still getting teary-eyed over it not being tailor made for you. Likewise, if you don't want something sanity-annihilatingly spicy, don't ask me to cook it for you. It will be. If your eyelids don't sweat, it's not hot enough. Dark Souls is a game about getting fucked over at every turn. Capra Demon doesn't come in mild sauce. You're supposed to wish you were dead and still take another bite. If you don't want to wish that, maybe I'll wish it for you: >:[ DARK SOULS >:[
Welcome to the PS3 side of Destructoid's Friday Night Fights! Every Friday, members of the Destructoid community get together online to play games and all you need to join is a user account. Down below, you'll find a list of games that we'll play tonight along with the times they'll start, the people that you should hit up for invites, and any other information that you may need.
If you want to play, leave a comment with the games from the schedule you want to play and your PSN name. You should also send a PSN friend request to the host, including a message to say who you are here on Destructoid so they know you're one of the cool people and not just some random friend request.
If your favorite game isn't on the schedule, host it yourself! You just need to give us the game, start time, and your PSN name so we can put it on the schedule. Last minute additions in the comments here are fine, but games can also be added earlier in the week by visiting the forums and finding the thread with the coming Friday's date. Adding a game there ensures it's on the blog from the moment it goes up.
Unsavory comments? Please report harassment, spam, and hate speech to our comment moderators
Can't see comments? Anti-virus apps like Avast or some browser extensions can cause this. Easy fix: Add [*].disqus.com to your security software's whitelist.
About PS FNF
Welcome to the home of PlayStation Friday Night Fights.
Friday Night Fights is a weekly event where we, community members, cooperate with or murder each other online. There is a forum thread for planning and then a blog post here with the final schedule. Keep an eye out for both them if you want to play some games.
• Keep yourself up to date on the schedule. The list in the forums can change several times throughout the week.
• Leave a message with your PSN name and which games from the schedule you want to play. More people will play if other people are playing, so speak up.
• Send a PSN friend request to the person hosting the game which includes a message with your Dtoid name. If you leave out who you are on the site, they might think you're just a random friend request and ignore you.
• If you want your game listed on the schedule, we need the game, the time, and your PSN ID. We need the specific game, not an abbreviation that applies to more than one; a start time, even if you're playing "all night"; and we need your PSN ID even if you think we know it already.
• Don't worry about hosting the same game or hosting a game at the same time as someone else. Instead, think of it like a movie theater; more than one game can run at the same time.
• Make sure you have at least an hour to play. That's only two or three matches of the average shooter and those go by pretty quick.
• Check the comments, on both the forum post and the cblog when it goes up on Friday, to see if someone has said they'll play. You might have missed their PSN message or your friend list might be full.