Gameplay Video from gamevideos.1up.com
Welcome Fight Fans!
The interwebs are abuzz with our first taste of the new crossover game by Capcom and Namco entitled Street Fighter x (Cross) Tekken. Since we were so lucky to actually see this live demo, we are able to take away a lot of key points to how the gameplay will go. Using my inner Sherlock Holmes, this is what I can deduce from the footage.
- Capcom's version of this fighter (Namco is doing Tekken x Street Fighter in a presumably 3D affair) will be using the Super/Street Fighter IV engine, graphics, and art style for all characters. Expect your Tekken favorites to look a little bit buffed up and manga-esque.
- Tag Combat is in effect. With a minimum of two on two, which I'll expect to be the max as well, you see a couple of custom ultras used between both partners. With a devastating attack such as that, you should expect to see that empty out both character's ultra meters, or a shared meter like Marvel vs Capcom?
- More on Tag Combat, we didn't see any other tag-related offense besides the ultras. Will you simply get a "helper" character just like the original Marvel vs Capcom? I doubt that, expect full tag-in combos and juggles.
- Speaking of juggles, a Tekken staple, the "Air Juggle" is implemented as you can see via Ryu's combos on Kazuya and vice versa.
- So far only four confirmed characters, none of which are a surprise, and a 5th if you've seen the trailer. Poor Dan Hibiki, will he ever get a break? You see his body thrown into a heap next to Ryu at the beginning of the official trailer. So far expect: Ryu, Dan, and Chun Li representing Street Fighter, and Kazuya and Nina representing Tekken.
- Did I say Dan Hibiki? Yes, I did, he's my main in Super Street Fighter IV, and I never play a Street Fighter without him in it. The presence of Dan himself should make this a day one buy and pre-order for everyone.
- The stage the game was played on looks like some shit was going down. There was a throw back to Capcom with a Tekken Soldier looking from beneath a large Tokobot head. The destruction of the environment background is a throw back to Tekken's largely disastrous and urban environments.
- For those claiming Street Fighter dominance due to projectiles, it looks like the Tekken characters will be able to definitely handle themselves. Kazuya has a shoryuken-style uppercut and a vicious spinning low kick combo (kinda like Sakura's). This isn't the first time they've crossed over into enemy territory. Heihachi was in Soul Calibur 2 for the Playstation 2. Yoshimitsu is a staple character for both titles.
This is a very exciting time for fighting fans. This truly is a new golden age of fighters and a rebirth for the new generation. As a long time Street Fighter and Tekken fan, this is a dream game come true. I only have a couple questions unanswered so far as I type this. Will we have a "Tekken Force" mode with Street Fighter characters? Will Capcom do their own in the form of a Final Fight game mode? Will there be damage for characters hitting the walls via juggle? Will Street Fighter finally be faithfully created in 3D by the masters at Namco?
Stay tuned America, we're gonna be proving some axioms soon! read