My name is Christopher Lage, I've been playing video games since I was a small child. The first this I can honestly remember is getting an NES for Christmas when I was 3 and playing the Mario Bros./Duck Hunt Game that came with it. Ever since I've been a gamer. I even spent a few years claiming to be "industry personnel" and it's gotten me into an E3 at a very reduced cost! (Thanks GameStop). Not to mention half of my wardrobe is free advertising for old games. I did work for the company as an assistant manager for three years and now I'm currently a security director for a shopping center.
What I'm currently playing:
New Super Luigi U (Wii U)
Pokemon X (3DS)
The Stanley Parable (PC)
What I'm waiting for:
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
So Iím a few days late to the party but better late than never I guess. I've spent the last week recovering from waking up sick at PAX on Saturday and getting some quality time in with Xenoblade. In addition to this blog post which I feel like I should let you guys and gals know me a little bit more since youíve all posted such great blogs lately. In addition since my Photoshop skills are shit Iím running a contest for the cover image on my blog. So hereís trying to kill 2 birds with one stone!
The contest is pretty straight forward, Iíd like a cover banner/image for my blog, so you can read the post below to get some insight on me or the kind of stuff I like or am into or you could always ask me, the only stipulation is it has Mr. Destructoid or the Dtoid logo on it. Submit entries to my email address, lagechj(at)gmail.com with the subject line Dtoid Banner Contest. Whatís in it for you? Well the winning entry will be notified either thru PM or social media outlets (teh twittorz) and sent a code for their choice of digital cheddar aka mullah aka 1600 MS Points/$20 PSN/Wii Points/3DS Shop. Thatís $20! In digital form. Pretty sweet eh? Contest ends 04/27/12!
1. I am a huge Nintendo Fan Boy (itís kind of depressing) Right now Iím living large with just over 500 Club Nintendo coins, my Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary poster reward coming in the mail to display in all their glory throughout my house once they get framed, and Iíve got more games for my Wii either downloadable or retail than I do for my 360. In fact if you take a look at my Wiiís home screen I have every Legend of Zelda game sitting pretty on it! Out of all of my friends Iím the only one that has any kind of love for the Big N, and Iím the only person I know that is actually thinking about buying a Wii U at launch (especially if they drop the price 6 months later and give us a bunch of free games again). I canít explain it, but I have this distaste for this generationís overuse of the super brofisting shooters that are Gears of War, Halo, CoD, etc. I feel like Nintendo always innovates rather than tries to make the quick buck on rehashes. (Usually 1 or 2 games per franchise per generation). Iím more than happy to pick up games like Mass Effect and Bayonetta but for whatever reason Nintendo just does things different. Rhythm Heaven Fever is one of my favorite games of this generation and the ďgameĒ requires two button presses total. Oh yeah, and that Club Nintendo membership? It used to be a Nintendo Power Club membership.
2. I have a guitar that I have NO IDEA how to play. Back in high school a buddy of mine was in a band, they were pretty good and got a few shows and Iíd always try and go to them. Then the coolest thing happened, he gave me one of his guitars. Well when I say give me he let me ďborrowĒ it. The worst part? It was about 8 years ago! T_T
I tried really hard to teach myself how to play the damn thing but I just couldnít get it down through any of the lessons/programs I found scouring the internet. More importantly the guitar is pretty damn special to me. We were really great friends in high school, and went to different colleges and now we donít really see each other/talk much at all, which I guess is what happens when you get older but Iíll never get rid of the guitar no matter how much dust itís currently collecting. One day Iíll be able to play the damn thing. At this point though it seems even playing something simple is turning out to be my version of Mozartís Requiem.
3. If my life had a soundtrack the main theme would be ďCigarettes and Chocolate MilkĒ
I smoke cigarettes, terrible habit I know Iíd love to quit but and for those of you that currently do or used to smoke thereís nothing better in the morning that waking up having a cup of coffee and a cigarette. I feel like when the modern cigarette was invented the folks at the soon-to-be tobacco companies were all sitting around drinking coffee and realized that theyíd go great together. But in the song is pretty much a perfect way to describe my sometimes self-destructive behaviors:
ďCigarettes and chocolate milk these are just a couple of my cravings everything it seems I like's a little bit stronger a little bit thicker a little bit harmful for meĒ
4. I am the epitome of the ďSocially Awkward PenguinĒ meme Around the age of 21 I went through this really weird change, Iím not sure if I spent the better portion of my late high school and college career mostly at parties/clubs/bars and just got sick of it all but if I were to see the me aged 18-21, heíd probably kick my ass and laugh about it with his friends later. I used to be way more extroverted in terms of personality, willingness to talk to people, and going out. Call it getting older, more mature (thatís debatable) or anything else but I generally am not a huge fan of people anymore, or large crowds. For as much fun as I had during the Dtoid party and meeting Hamza, Max, and Jonathan I was nervous as all hell the entire time! Maybe I just have a fear of rejection, who knows but if you ever talk to anyone I know theyíll tell you Iíve become way more of an introvert, and Iím looking to change that.
5. I believe in extra terrestrial life and all that jazz I mean how can there not be aliens out there? I have this terrible feeling that if we ever do make first contact with an alien race weíll totally fuck it up as humanity normally does with things it fears or doesnít quite understandÖ (Iím looking at you religion!) But anyways Iím sure Iíll end up losing a whole of my humanity since itís always been a dream of mine ever since being a youngster to travel into space, more importantly to be alive to see the day to meet an actual alien and visit their civilization. If anyoneís familiar with the show ďVĒ I would be on the first spaceship off this rock we call home, after quitting my job, maxing out my credit limits and taking out everyone I know for a night and party like rock stars before submitting to a higher evolved/intelligent life form if theyíre the ones to travel here and make first contact.
6. Water and I arenít friends Strangely enough Iím Ĺ Portuguese and Ĺ Italian but the way that I got programmed is anything but Mediterranean-like. Iím allergic to shellfish, something that kind of freaked out most of the family when I had some as a kid and itís always left a bad taste in my mouth and nose in terms of any other kind of aquatic food. I hate the way fish smells, looks, feels, itís freaking gross. But it also could have been the whole Jellyfish and Octopus thing for Christmas when I was growing up (the joys of being Portuguese) that freaked me out and wanted me to go nowhere near anything related to the ocean. And I canít swim all that well, fictional hydrodynamic animals i.e. water type Pokťmon are fine. Weíre still cool starmie! Aqua Man you still suck though, talking to fish isnít a power, but a handicap. Maybe Iím just jaded though; I couldnít swim my way out of a paper bag filled with water.
7. I have always had dogs Not Nintendogs! But real dogs! Ever since I was a kid Iíve always had at least one in the house. Not quite the Corgi King that our Dale North is but ever since watching Cowboy Bebop Iíve always wanted one to name it Ein! ^_^
To date Iíve had all bigger dogs, I have had the fortune of living with the following types of pooches: German shepherd, Brittany spaniel, golden retriever, German shorthaired pointer, and Red Siberian husky (I like big dogs; theyíre more fun to play withÖ and to wrestle).
8. I love cartoons! I have the awesome experience of being a big kid, or small adult whichever (both in height and in interest. Iím 5í7Ē on a good day!) But I abso-freaking-loutely love me some cartoons and anime. Old school Voltron, Thundercats, X-Men, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Ninja Turtles (stop getting ideas for more bastardizations Michael Bay) and even new stuff like Adventure Time and Regular show! My favorite anime series are Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain, Elfen Lied, Evangelion, Samurai Champloo, and Death Note. I like mind fucks haha.
9. Iím officially running out of things to write about because I find myself quite boring. Not so much from a low self esteem sort of viewpoint, just from the tl;dr. If you have any questions are wanna chat more hit me up on the twitters @MagitekNiGHT (bonus points for the name reference itís been my XBL name for 4 years and no one has asked me about it ever) or send me a PM or drop a comment below!
10. Remember thereís a contest at the top of this post so enter youíve only got 2 weeks to potentially earn $20. Hell even if you donít think youíre going to win my best Photoshop project looks ten times worse than Jim Sterlingís MS Paint drawings! Plus, if youíre lucky, and the only participant you could win by default!