Hello everyone! E3 has come and gone, and now we wait for all the great games they announced to actually come out. There were a ton of cool games this year that I'm looking forward to, with at least a few games from each of the major conferences.
The game I was most excited about was Bloodborne, the new game from From Software which seems to be a spiritual successor to the Souls series. As a longtime fan of the series, they really could have shown anything remotely like a Souls game and I would be excited. At this point, I feel like they can do no wrong. Even though Dark Souls II wasn't quite as good as Dark Souls, it was still a phenomenal game.
Second on my list of most exciting announcements was Abzu, a game that some of the people from thatgamecompany (Journey, Flower) have been working on under their new studio, Giant Squid (you have no idea how much I wish I could work for a company called Giant Squid!). Abzu is set under the ocean, with beautiful, stylized graphics. If it's going to be anything like Journey or Flower, then there's a good chance it might be one of my favorite games ever! An underwater Journey? I would be in love! Even if it doesn't play like Journey, I'm confident the people over at Giant Squid will make something equally as wonderful.
Speaking of squids, can we talk about Splatoon for a second? This is going to be a new IP from Nintendo. It appears to be a team-based arena shooter starring these cute little characters who can turn into squids and shoot ink at each other. Look at these squids; they're so cute! I'll definitely be picking this game up, just for the concept alone. Anyone else interested in this one? This seems like something that wouldn't really appeal to the mainstream, but I dunno. Maybe other people are as excited about squids as I am.
There were plenty of other announcements that looked interesting as well:
- Cuphead looks like a neat little indie title, with really cool aesthetics taking inspiration from classic cartoons.
- The team behind Limbo announced the new game they're working on, Inside, which I'm sure will be amazing.
- No Man's Sky looks intriguing, but it seems like the studio might be biting off more than they can chew... I hope they can prove me wrong though!
- Let it Die was the new Suda51 announcement, and it seems to feature dudes fighting each other in various states of undress, which I'm totally down with!
- I'll probably be getting Rise of the Tomb Raider, as well as the other Lara Croft game they announced, just because I love Tomb Raider.
- Mirror's Edge 2 and Bayonetta 2 are still looking fantastic.
- Yoshi's Woolly World looked surprisingly good, even though I wasn't interested in it at all when it was first announced last year (or whenever they announced it).
- And also, Grim Fandango! I never got a chance to play it before, so I'm really excited to be able to try it out finally!
There were more awesome announcements, but I can't really remember them all, and also I've probably listed enough already. Needless to say, the next few years are going to be fantastic!