What image is brought to mind when you hear the name Torchlight ? The first time I heard the name I thought to myself “Oh no, another budget RPG that's going to fail.”. I could not have been more wrong.
Torchlight is many things and one of them is certainly not bad. Aside from being what I find aesthetically pleasing it has a good storyline and is extremely open to modding meaning hours of custom content can be created at the drop of a hat. Instead of ranting and raving about the games perks and downfalls I have prepared a breakdown of Torchlight to present this in a more clear and concise manner.
The Good Points:
1) It's graphics are quite cartoon like which makes a nice break from the more serious looking games as well as the anime style RPG games which you see a lot of. At this point can I make it clear that I am a fan of both these graphics styles.
2) It has a very good all be it slightly cliched storyline which consists of you taking down the good guy turned bad who seeks to awaken an ancient evil. Obviously the story line is slightly more complex than this but for the sake of you poor readers I shall keep it as short as possible.
3) The title of this blog entry explains this point pretty well but I shall go on to explain anyway. The game comes complete with a folder named “Pak” in its installation directory which contains all the game files. You can extract this folder to anywhere on your computer and edit the files to your hearts content then place them in the mods folder and it will use your files instead of the games original files. It also has an accompanying program named “TorchED” which allows you to edit all of the games files in a more user friendly manner.
The Bad Points:
1) The modding tool “TorchED” can take a long time to load and runs quite slow making it quite a long process to create a mod for the game.
2) The “TorchED” tool can be quite daunting and confusing for new users and this often deters them from utilising its full potential.
3) To manually edit the files via a text editor the files do need to be converted from one format to another meaning that it can be a pain at the beginning until you track down a converter but luckily one can be located here. “http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2903”
To conclude my not so concise post Torchlight is a Action RPG game which after a very low profile release has maintained a strong modding community and is very cheap so is definitely worth your money. I believe it is only £12.99 on Steam so log yo' ass on and buy this shit.
Thank you for reading and please comment below.